Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2015

India!

Over Chinese New Year, I went to India to see my grandparents and for a wedding. I started off my journey by rushing to the airport after class. After multiple people laughing at me as I frantically raced around the MTR, I finally made it to the airport. After check-in and security, I went to eat a pizza as I had not eaten anything all day. I went to Pizza Express and ordered myself a pizza. Don't let the name fool you. Pizza Express has painfully slow service.
The waitress quietly judged me as I destroyed the pizza in twenty minutes. I boarded the most boring flight possible with the worst movies. I arrived in India and was welcomed by the complete incompetence of the immigration staff along with malfunctioning wifi. Eventually, I was greeted at the gate by my grandma, dad, and cousin. 

That night, my dad and I went back to my grandparents house. The following day, my dad and I went to Khan Chacha, a kebab restaurant, in Khan Market with my cousin. Khan Chacha serves both meat and vegetarian kebabs and kebab rolls. It was so good that we ended up going another time. I had completely forgotten that in India everything is labelled as vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Vegetarian does not include the consumption of fish or eggs making eggless bakeries common. In America, we easily forget that having meat in every meal isn't a requirement. 
 
The following day my dad ended up getting really sick, so our wedding plans were cancelled. My Nani, maternal grandmother in Hindi, and I ended up spending most of the day with my dad at his parents' house. I spent the next day shopping with my cousin Radhika. I also got eat chaat at Halidrams and some ice cream at Häagen Dazs, which is a sit down experience complete with optional fondue. 

I spent Saturday shopping with my aunt and Nani at Delhi Haat. Delhi Haat consists of a bunch of stalls made up of extremely touristy items set up to look like an authentic market. If I'm in Delhi, I always go.

Just before leaving, I was lucky enough to eat a Mango Dolly. In American, mango flavored ice creams are generally sorbets and very fruity. In India, mango ice cream is really milky and it's absolutely delicious. I had a quick and busy trip, but I feel privileged to be able to make the trip. I can't wait to return. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGN BY SWEET ELECTRIC